Monday, June 20, 2011

Trend setter or following the crowd you choose

After many talks over the course of the past three years with my partner, mentors, and professional in the restaurant industry, We decided at Morocco's Restaurant that we will not fall into the industry standards of having 1 server host and take care of 20+ people. Each 10 guests will have at morocco's an experienced server and a helper in training.
We thus decided to implement an automatic 15% service charge on all tickets. In a cost increasing environment, increasing rent etc, we estimated that that will be fair as long is it is disclosed correctly to your guests. The first yelp reviews about this are not complimentary but this structure allows me to put together a team of professionals whose intent is not to work for tips but the intent to build a career and ultimately be a pillar of Morocco's Restaurant as a dining and an entertainment destination.

On a different note, the training of our team is happening exactly as expected, 300+ applications received, 80+ face to face interviews. 20 hires and i expect 10 of them to stick and leave up to our expectations. So far, 5 of them have disappeared due to "conflicting schedules" or "not liking to clean much" or " thought all i will do was to play hostess!!"...Do i want to keep all remaining 15! YES!! will i? I would love to!! What if all of them disappear? I will have to refine my hiring process....
All 15 are brilliant people and i wish them all only the best, i believe they will be very successful in whatever direction they choose. I hope to do part of their paths with them and they will do part of their paths with me....

Extra ice on my sangria please! it reached 98 degrees today and i promises to go over the 100's tomorrow!!!

The grand opening of the Mountain view location is just around the corner.

I am happy to the idea that my interns and I are going to rent bikes for this sunday and visit the residential neighborhood of Mountain view located behind the restaurant. A lot of fluids and a well rewarded beer and pizza party afterwards sounds a proper reward!!

No comments:

Post a Comment