Monday, May 23, 2011

June 15th is around the corner

Sunday afternoon was great when I did a training session with my team on Safety (Big thanks to Mini Le from San Jose crime prevention units and all her valuable tips) and alcohol handling.  Despite the safety of our location (I proud to mention that Morocco's Restaurant has always been violence free for 3 years! Knocking on wood....)
I also shared the news that we are opening a second location. Surprisingly, everybody knew about it!!! I found out that the leak occurred as follow: We decided to cancel a non profitable catering gig that was however great exposure to major corporations in the silicon Valley. When informing our contact person at the company, she informed the head chef at the corporation, who mentioned it to a sous chef who mentioned it to one of my crew members during one of those catering jobs who mentioned it to another employee and voila...I did  not know how to interpret the fact that none of my employees told me a word about it for weeks!! Can i question my team or assign it to the fact that they preferred to respect my decision to wait for the right time to share it...I will settle for the latter one...
Today was a wild day between interviewing 8 possible front of the house crew members, picked the tiles that we will be using, still debating on the color choice for the restaurant, seeing my brother main shopping the refrigeration technicians, hood cleaners and some other breeds of professional whose licenses work much more as recognized certifications rather than actual knowledge of a trade, filing corporate paperwork, finding out how much of a check i have to pay to uncle sam for the sales tax collected over the past month (ouch ouch ouch), lined up auditions for artists to perform at the Mountain view location, working on the new web site and communicating at a pretty hectic pace with our web designing team, finalizing the design of the new business cards, calling my cell phone service and learn that my phone needs more memory to handle what i need it for, confirming my attendance to a job fair tomorrow with the desire to find the diamond in the rough (I know it exists!).
I took advantage of a breather to send a couple of text messages to people i care about and was glad to have a fast response.
My main thing focus of the day but as you can see, the exciting pace of restaurant management made me get involved to so many aspects that were not in the agenda.
All the hiring process at Morocco's Restaurant starts on the phone and i was surprised to realize that it is actually possible to populate a paragraph of conversation with "Like like like, you know, whatever, stuff, stuff, you know, i don't know, maybe etc..." Am i too particular for asking for my people to be able to express themselves with proper etiquette? I think my guests deserve it.... My favorite question was: Why do you want a job? Guess what, rare were those interested to take it to the next level or grow but rather were focused on mere desires to make it to the next bill or literally said i do not know..I though about my mother...
Well, i wanted to write about how many of our friends and regulars called to tell us congratulations today, but that will trigger another post...maybe tomorrow...Off I go to Mountain view right now to check the space and brainstorm the vision...

No comments:

Post a Comment