Tuesday, May 10, 2011

TSSS

Tuesday Salon for Singles Series (TSSS)at Morocco's Restaurant where the corkage fee is waived and where we are trying to create a different concept for singles night that is not associated with loud music, over the top drunk people but where a quality conversation should be the trigger to start new friendships and why not love...
95 members on Meetup.com, 800+ fans on facebook, 3400 friends in our email database...attendance to the third edition of TSSS = ZERO! lol This was a great occasion to catch up with my favorite partner in the world: Chef Jay!! Funny how you can live with a person, cross paths 15 times a day and still not have the time to talk as we are too busy working for others....may sound familiar to many especially this young couple who came for a date tonight and confirmed that that was their daily life too. It felt good to hear that Morocco's Restaurant was their favorite romantic dating venue though...
Something funny happened over the week end where the restaurant was at full capacity and walks in a VIP (Very Important Person), no reservations, no room to get them seated, bar area packed with people with no reservations waiting for their table to get seated while they are enjoying a cocktail i just made up (Mint Iced Tea, Whiskey: (We have a full liquor license now!!) and honey on the rim that i happily call Gentlemen's agreement (3 of them will get any gentlemen to agree on pretty much anything and everything, I promise ;0)
So the conversation went something like this: Sham i do know that i have not made a reservation but i really want a table now!
Me: I would love to give you a table now but i just can't due to lack of space and 10 people ahead of you. I would love to get you started with a Sangria or a beer while you are waiting for about 30 minutes. I promise to get you seated as soon as possible!
Him/Her: You know who i am, right?
Me: Yes i do
Him/Her: You know how much business i bring to you?
Me: Yes i do and i appreciate it
Him/Her: Not getting us seated now in that table in the corner will cost you my business.
...At this point, i got upset, threats nor arrogant behavior have ever worked on me and they are not about to start:
Me: My dear guest, my promise to you is for me to provide you the best experience every time to you and to your guests, getting you in right now is not only a promise for you to have a bad time but also to affect my other guest s experiences and the performance of my team in the dining room....I then find myself in the position to say no to your business at this time to preserve our relationship and ensure that we are always doing what is best for our guest s experiences.
My "VIP" guest in a very rude manner stormed out of the restaurant stating that they will never come again.
5 people at the bar that were waiting told me thank you and it felt good and i went back into filling up waters for my dining room and join my team and my guests again...
The morning after, my VIP guest calls and apologizes for the behavior. I did accept the apology and invited them to come attend a live guitar performance at Morocco's later on this month of may. He/She reserved a table for 20 people and i look forward to showing them a great time.
Saying no is hard sometimes when you are in the business of pleasing people but guess what: Everybody is VIP At Morocco's Restaurant. ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment