Wednesday, May 11, 2011

May 11 of the year 11

Time goes by so fast, it is already mid 2011!! gentle breeze, warm sunny weather, ahhh, the kind weather of California is here...
Started a day with a meeting with real estate agent that said somebody wanted to buy Morocco's Restaurant, felt appreciated but declined. Spoke to my lawyer about the newest edition of our employee handbook and it is looking good. Met my accountant to do our yearly audit of our corporate books and he said that we are doing a good job. It was already 11am and my tummy filed a complaint with the board of directors under the premise that it is unacceptable for a restaurant owner to not eat on regular basis! Found this vietnamese store that s a little paradise, i was not able to understand any of the labeling but everything looked...well....delicious...their bread was freshly baked and the ingredients fresh...the price was also very affordable: 2.25 per sandwich!! I like the fact that i forgot my phone in the car, it felt strange at the beginning but then developed a sense of comfort and peace that i just decided to enjoy!! after 30 seconds of that, i got bored and started thinking about my team. i was genuinely happy to see yesterday an employee that was out sick for two weeks, i remember her when she dropped her doctor's note and looked so fragile then saw her yesterday with that look in her eyes confirming her verbal statement that she was happy to be back.
Thought about my kitchen crew and how their main focus is to work on the plating for better presentation, i thought about every single one of them and even if i know that the restaurant industry has the highest turnover and that probably 60% of them will not be here in the next year, i learned to enjoy their presence, company and oh so different personalities.

What i like with working with new people is that nothing beats a set of fresh eyes, curious, excited, maybe nervous on their overall performance.  What i like with working with loyal teammates is they get closer to figuring out what we are trying to achieve and relate to our mission that everybody associated with Morocco's Restaurant and who can call themselves graduates of our hospitality school of Morocco's Restaurant is more than a wage earner but somebody that is being build up to be a leader.

Realized suddenly that my dry cleaning is due and went to visit this chilean business owner and his wife who always hugs me when i go see them and ask me about where my brother is (Every single time it s funny!!) Stopped then by the hair cut store attached to the dry cleaner who took care of my dad 2 months ago and made him feel special.

Bak to the restaurant where my insurance agent appeared as he was waiting for me to be there. He is a good friend so it was good to see him.  My inbox of mail, paperwork, email, text messages took advantage of me being distracted to reproduce themselves in 6 folds...tonight is Flamenco guitar night at Morocco's and the sangria is discounted at $4 a glass, i see 4 pitchers on the tables and it is only 6PM. It gives me 45 minutes before going for a dinner and get to unwind...Let's do this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment